Tuesday, November 12, 2013

52 in 52 #13 - Extra cheesey macaroni and cheese

Honestly, does the Pioneer Woman make anything that isn't awesome?  I should have known when I went in search of a macaroni and cheese recipe that I would find one that was amazing.  Let me back up...

Almost anyone that you cooks seems to believe that one of the easiest things that you can cook is macaroni and cheese.  I am here to tell you that I think that is wrong.  I am a relatively decent cook most days, and I have royally screwed up more macaroni and cheese dishes than I care to admit.  I, however, was bound and determined to find one that was not a complete disaster. 

Back to the Pioneer Woman... we have made one of her awesome recipes before and I would be willing to bet that she is capable of coming up with a recipe that isn't amazing.  She loves butter and cheese as much as the next guy, and how can anything be bad with butter and cheese?  This macaroni and cheese was creamy and cheesey and amazing. 

Extra cheesey macaroni and cheese

Prep time: 25 mins
Cook time: 20-25 mins

4 cups dried macaroni noodles
4 tbsp. butter
1/4 cup flour
2 1/2 cups whole milk
2 tsp dry mustard
1 whole egg
1 pound cheese
salt & pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 2 qt casserole dish

Cook macaroni noodles until very al dente.  I cook mine roughly 5 minutes.  Remember they will continue to cook in the oven. 

Melt butter in a large saucepan.  Sprinkle in flour.  Cook mixture for 5 minutes, whisking constantly.  Be careful to not allow mixture to get too brown. 

After 5 minutes, add milk and dry mustard.  Continue to whisk and cook for another 5 minutes.  Mixture will be smooth and thick.  Turn heat to low after 5 minutes. 

Remove 1/4 cup of mixture and whisk vigorously with the beaten egg.  Add egg into saucepan and continue to whisk vigorously until fully combined and smooth.  Mixture will become very thick. 

Remove from heat and add all but 1/2 cup of cheese.  Stir until melted.  Season generously with salt and pepper. 

Add noodles and stir well to combine. 

Spoon into greased baking dish and top with remaining cheese.  Bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes.  Cheese on top will be melted and dish will be bubbly on the sides. 

Enjoy! 


No comments:

Post a Comment