Saturday, December 7, 2013

52 in 52 #32 - Twine Wrapped Star - front door decoration

I saw this pin on Pinterest and thought this would be an awesome idea for our front door.  Too bad that the pin was actually just a picture.  I HATE that!  Give me some direction.  Help me understand how you created something that looks like this.  Don't just show me a picture and expect me to be able to create something even remotely similar.  Luckily, I knew that I didn't want the entire middle of the star covered by the twine, but that I wanted each 'arm' of the star individually wrapped. 

I have been wanting to replace our sad front door wreath for years, but Christmas decorating always gets overwhelming for me and I run out of steam usually after the tree and the mantle. 

This year I swore it would be different.  All of my children are getting older now and are starting to appreciate the season more and more and so I need to get my butt in gear and actually work on décor for Christmas. 

For this craft you will need:
- 10 paint stir sticks
- 1 bundle of thin twine
- wood glue
- clothes pins
- bells, ribbon, etc for decoration

Let me say that a nice woman at our local Lowes let me have 10 of these paint stir sticks.  I was willing to pay her for them, but according to her they were not permitted to charge for them and were only supposed to give the customer one per can of paint. 

You will first need to determine the shape and correct size of your star relative to your front door.  I had to 'cut' about 2 inches off of each stick in order to get the correct size for our front door, but this will depend on how big you want your star, how wide your door is, etc. 

Use the wood glue and glue your star together.  Remember, to glue all the 'blank' sides of the stick to one side.  I say this because I forgot and about half of the 'arms' of my star have the blue ink words on them.  Whoops.  Hold each piece together with a clothes pin while the glue is drying.  I let mine dry for multiple hours to ensure that it was fully stuck together and wasn't going to come apart in the wrapping process. 

Now, one of the things that I didn't quite think through was the logistics of how I was going to wrap the actual star in twine.  I mean, one end is loose but the other end is attached to a roll about the size of a roll of toilet paper.  Did I really think that I was going to pass that roll around and around like 400 times while this was getting wrapped?  No, I didn't... and I didn't end up doing it that way either.  I unwrapped about 15 - 20 ft at a time that way it was manageable.  I hid the knots from the beginning and when each piece got tied together in the side that I felt would be the back that way it looked better on the front. 


I wrapped all the way around the star with the twine as tight together as possible.  I went back at the end and wrapped the corners around the outside of star inside of around the stick.  It was not working out as well trying to wrap them completely around the stick, so I had to come up with a different way. 

Add your decoration of choice and hang on the door. 

Enjoy!










No comments:

Post a Comment