Friday, February 17, 2012

Newborn baby musings

What is it about baby cries that are contagious? It's like a signal to all other babies within earshot to simultaneously freak out for no reason. My sister's 10 week old and my 7 week old are currently active participants in this vicious cycle of contagious crying. I love my children and my niece, I mean love them like I never even thought possible but endless crying during the day on both of their parts makes me want to smoke a cigarette.

Apparently the "newborns sleep a lot" thing is genetic and both of my kids have not had it. My son sleeps in 20 minute intervals throughout the night and that's only if swaddled up so tight he can't move, and does most of his sleeping during the day when my daughter is awake. How fun. Thank the Lord for my mother for coming over to help with them.

However, while running on no sleep, having not showered since Lord only knows when, and having not changed my contacts in a week my kids can do one cute thing and it makes everything all good again. My son likes to be awake around 3 am and spends almost 15 minutes smiling and laughing at something while I am holding him. I wouldn't miss those moments for anything. And as much as I gripe about no sleep, I love that he nurses to sleep and actually needs me and only me most of the day.

All in all, newborns are a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment