Saturday, April 6, 2013

Garden Update

Hallelujah, our garden is finally planted!  Accomplishing this feat took a lot longer than it was supposed to, but someone (me) neglected to realize that the original placement of two of our raised beds didn't get any sun whatsoever.  Obviously, you need sun to grow most plants so we had to move them.. once they were built... and had dirt in them.  Yes, I feel like an idiot. 

We decided that we had to move them this weekend.  It was finally supposed to be above freezing all weekend and it was time to get our seedlings in the ground.  We planted them in this seed starter kit that Corry found at Walmart and they had taken off!  Well, all except for our bell peppers and our Ancho peppers.  For some reason they were the slowest seeds that we had. 

We decided that we were going to start with the following items in each bed:

1st 'big' bed - parsley (1), green bell peppers (4), Ancho peppers (3), cucumber (3), and cauliflower (3)
2nd 'big' bed - onions (1/3 of the bed), tomatoes (2), and bush beans (2)
1st 'small' bed - basil (3), zucchini (2), butternut squash (3), spinach (3)
2nd 'small' bed - romaine (3), zucchini (1), spaghetti squash (3), carrots (3)

We still have one strawberry plant, and two blueberry bushes that have an undecided location. 

Corry saw online something about a strawberry planter and so now there is confusion about what to do with that strawberry plant.  I only have one of them - do I need a planter or can they just go in the garden with everything else?  This is our first year with a garden and I am nervous about what is going to turn out.  I did tell Corry today though that I will be happy if we get one thing out of the garden, because in the past, I have been known to have a 'black' thumb when it comes to gardening.

This picture totally describes me and my previous gardening style:

 Funny Encouragement Ecard: I don't think of myself as having a 'gray' thumb, but more of a plant hospice worker. Easing the transition so plants can go to Jesus.

Here's to hoping that this year will be a different experience!! 

- Sara


2 comments: