Monday, April 15, 2013

Rules of the road: DFW edition


April is National Distracted Driving Awareness Month.  According to a Texas Department of Transportation press release there were 90,378 traffic accidents in 2012 that involved distracted driving.  They define distracted driving as ‘driver distraction, cell phone use, or driver inattention’.  TXDOT is currently marketing a ‘Talk. Text.Crash’ campaign.  You can see promotional materials at the bottom of that link which include radio, press and print information.  They are asking all Texans to wait until they arrive at their destination before dealing with cell phone business, reading the newspaper, putting on makeup, etc.  We should all pledge to do this for just the month of April for starters and then hopefully it will become a habit for anytime that you drive. 
 
Until I started writing today's blog, I never realized how distracted I really was while driving sometimes.  Since I drive the same roads twice a day five times a week, I notice that for myself I get bored very easily and tend to want to look at my phone, mess with the radio, look in the mirror, etc.  I am really attempting to making an effort to put my phone where I can't reach it from the driver's seat, or pledge to keep it down and not even look at it at all while driving.  Unfortunately once you are in the habit of looking at it, it's a difficult practice to break. 

I really appreciate the cell phone companies putting out the public service announcements on commercials that your text messages can wait until you arrive. I would like to believe that they are reaching some people with those PSA's. I would imagine that they work better than the states and cities that are making driving while dealing with the phone illegal. I understand the idea and appreciate the effort, however, I would imagine that just makes those drivers more dangerous because now not only are they trying to text and drive but they are also now trying to hide that behavior from the police.   

Everyday, while driving to work, I see accidents or notifications of accidents in our area that you would imagine are one or both drivers being distracted while driving.  Perhaps we think that we are exempt from those accidents if we text or put makeup on while driving.  Maybe we justify it with ‘it is only this one time’.  It only takes one time to cause a lifetime of regret.  As a human race we should really be smarter and realize that being distracted is dangerous and often times deadly to not only the distracted driver but also the people around them. 

Brainstorming about distracted drivers has opened my eyes to the fact that we, as drivers, have several bad habits that need to be stopped.  The first one directly relates to the distracted driver mention above but the other two are just general annoyances that I observe with drivers in DFW on a daily basis. 

“When that jerk cut me off, he caused me to drop my phone and spill my coffee.”

Why are we, as drivers, so distracted lately?  We used to just be able to drive.  We didn't have to talk on the phone, text, read the newspaper, put on makeup, eat and drink coffee all while driving.  Would it be too much to ask that people just drive?  Because I spend over three hours a day in my car and a majority of that stuck in some kind of traffic, I see more awful driving than your average person observes.  I see people reading books, newspapers and computers while driving with their knees.  I see women talking on the phone and putting makeup on while trying to steer with their elbows.  I see parents half in the back seat turned around while trying to give their children something while the child is screaming their head off.  I see people doing other things while stuck in mostly stopped traffic and I am less bothered by that because I figure that a fender bender is less likely to be disastrous if you just roll into someone’s car versus the person who is driving with their knees putting on makeup and drinking coffee while driving 90 mph on the Toll way.   That doesn't bother me as much, but it is still not ideal.      

“They don’t want to hit me anymore than I want to hit them.”

Sigh.  I see at least four people everyday that seem to be operating under this philosophy.  You know the people… exiting a parking lot or a driveway without so much as a yield, let alone a full stop before blazing out into traffic, weaving in and out of traffic with two inches to spare before hitting another car, etc.  In fact, this weekend while out with my family, I almost rear-ended a man in a small SUV who pulled out in front of me in traffic and then stopped suddenly to turn into a driveway with no signal.  If you haven’t observed those kinds of people, then this is probably describing how you drive.  If it is, stop.  It’s annoying as hell.  I would honestly doubt that these people are in that much of a hurry that the extra one minute that it takes to stop or yield would cause them to be late. And if it isn’t because they are running late, then are they just doing it to be jerks?  Either way, it’s ridiculously dangerous for everyone on the road. 

“I signaled – they should have let me over.”

A blinker is a signal that you are getting ready to merge into another lane or make a turn.  It isn’t a warning that you are getting over RIGHT NOW or a signal to the person that they have to get out of your way immediately.  You still have to merge into that lane.  And please don’t even get me started on people’s inability to understand the easiest driving concept in the world: how to merge.  Just remember that the process of using a blinker is a basic understanding that everyone who took an instructional course in learning how to drive had to master.  And at the time that I wrote this blog, I am not sure of any car manufacturers, at least in America, that are making vehicles with no turn signals.  Not using turn signals and/or using turn signals inappropriately are both equally as bad.  
 
Maybe this is a bad assumption on my part, but I would assume that if someone is driving on the road, that they have had at least minimal training on how to operate a car.  I would like to assume that we have all learned the basics principles of how to merge and how to read basic signs on the road.  This apparently is not always the case. 
 
What are your biggest pet peeves while driving? 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment