Monday, April 1, 2013

I hate April Fools Day


Sigh

 

It’s April Fools Day again.  I don’t know if I would formally recognize this as a ‘holiday’ or not, but some people see it that way.  It’s a day full of people lying to your face and then getting you with “April Fools!”  I don’t get it.  I definitely am going to be seen as the party pooper on this one, but I honestly wish that I could just stay in bed all day on April 1st.  I know that if I shared this view with a lot of people that they would say that I need to learn how to take a joke or lighten up but it just doesn’t feel that easy.  

 

Deep down I think that it stems from a deep hatred of talking to people who I think are lying to me.  I hate liars.  I hate talking to people who are pathological liars in all aspects.  I was raised that lying was bad and still hold true to that ideology.  I don’t like lying to people and I don’t like when people lie to me.  Normally if I find out that people are lying then I usually cut them out of my life.  I think that a lot of trust is given to people and if you are caught lying then, in my opinion, all of that trust goes out the window.  Granted, I know that people on April Fools Day are not lying to be spiteful or trying to hurt anyone by lying, but it still is a lie and it’s still is un-necessary. 

 

I really started to get annoyed with April Fools Day when I was in high school.  That was when people started telling two different stories that really agitated me.  These two stories/lies are still being told today and people still think that they are funny.  One is that the person is pregnant and/or got someone else pregnant depending upon the person’s gender.  The second is that the person was assaulted by someone.  Two situations that wouldn’t normally be considered humorous but on this one day a year people tell them and get trucks of laughter. 

 

I just want people to think a bit more about their audience before they say something like these stories today.  I want them to remember that odds are good they know someone who is struggling with infertility who might not think that your joke about pregnant is so funny.  Or remember that there might be someone on your friend’s list on Facebook who might be currently getting abused by her husband who might not think that your fake status message about getting hit by her boyfriend isn’t hilarious.  Just be more courteous in general. 

 

-Sara Price

No comments:

Post a Comment