Sunday, January 12, 2014

2014 - 52 in 52 #4 - Balloon Banner

I always want to do something cute for a decoration for my children's birthday parties.  I like to make a 'Happy Birthday' banner but it is so time consuming and we end up throwing it away after the party, which is entirely too wasteful for me to feel comfortable with.  I was looking for something else that looked cool, was creative and relatively easy. 

I found this pin over a year ago and knew that I wanted to give it a try.  I mean, it looked easy and festive and may be just the thing that I was looking for. 

The first time that I tried it was at Isabella's rainbow birthday party.  I bought all the different colored balloons without thinking how I was going to get them blown up.  I didn't want to rent a helium tank because I didn't need them to stand up on their own and that just seemed like a waste.  Luckily, my genius hubby came up with the idea to blow them up with an air compressor - this turned into an amazing idea!  It was fast and didn't require me to lose all oxygen in my body blowing up 48 or so balloons.  The banner went together easily, stayed together and the balloons remained inflated in my other daughter's room for at least a month, which was nice. 

I decided to try again with my son's second birthday party.  I knew this time I wanted to make a spiral balloon banner.  I had several problems with my son's balloon banner but they were all in my preparation.  I didn't buy the same brand of balloons so it was hard to get them blown up evenly, and I didn't watch to ensure that they were blowing up to be the same size.  If the balloons are not the same size, then they don't fit together properly in the banner, which is frustrating.  However, if you follow the steps outlined below, you are guaranteed to end up with a cool looking balloon banner. 

Balloon banner

You will need 48 balloons, and some string to make this banner.  Because I always have leftover string that I use to wrap presents, I just used that.  You can use anything that resembles string, yarn, twine, etc. 

The first step is to blow up all of your balloons.  Ensure that they are the same size and shape. 















Next, tie the ends of two balloons together. 




















Next, you will tie two pairs of balloons together. 



















The next step will be different depending on which type of banner you are making.  If you want to recreate one like the rainbow then you would just place one set of a certain color on top of the same color.  You will need to turn the second set just a bit to ensure that they fit down inside of the first set.  I usually just wrap the string around both sets from top to bottom, but there is no set way to tie it together.  As long as they are wrapped together strong enough to keep it steady and held together. 















If you are making the spiral banner you will ensure that you use four colors, that each color is always in the same spot within the four tied together balloons and that each time you go to tie one set of four balloons to the stack that you rotate the color always the same direction. 
















Repeat until you have all of your balloons strung together in the banner and hang up at your party! 

Enjoy!!  Post pictures of your balloon banner!! 





No comments:

Post a Comment