Sunday, January 5, 2014

2013 52 in 52 #21 - Christmas Cross framed decor

I have been seeing pins like this everywhere on Pinterest.  The last one that I looked at got me even more inspired to re-create something like this just because it was awesome and had glitter.  Who doesn't love glitter?  Now, I understand that this pin is from www.etsy.com and that someone is trying to sell that, and I certainly don't want to undermine anything that another person is trying to sell; I am just going to give you my opinion.  What I am going to show you how to create today is relatively simple if you have the smallest bit of artistic talent.

The first step is to decide how big your frame is and what materials you want to use.  I used this festive tan and white holiday paper with red star accents (right), and this awesome red glitter paper (left).  I purchased both of them at Hobby Lobby before Christmas this year in their scrapbook paper area.  I already had the frame (11x14ish) so I didn't have to purchase one.  For crafts like this, I just use existing frames and switch out the pictures for crafts like this over the holidays.  I don't, personally, have the storage in my garage for several different sized frames like this. 

Next, you should decide on a shape.  You could really make this any shape that you wanted.  I chose a cross, but this would also look awesome with a Christmas tree, a Christmas ornament shape, or a star.  I might try it again with a different shape next year to see which I like better. 

The next step is to cut out the shape from your glitter paper.  I drew the shape on the back of the glitter paper which is not bumpy and is white, so it makes it easier to see where you have drawn.  Cut out your shape and make any modifications to the shape at this time - when I first cut mine out, one of the 'arms' of my cross was almost double the size of the matching arm.  That had to get fixed because the goal was not to make this look like it was a child's art project! 

Then you affix your printed paper in the frame however you want.  I taped mine down to the existing white cardboard that was in the inside of a frame.  Make sure that it is straight and lines up with the other paper if you have to mesh two pieces together. 

Then glue/tape your cross onto your paper.  You can see in my photo above that I just used four pieces of regular clear single sided tape.  I just used whatever materials I had lying around my house for this.  I could have also glued this down with just some basic glue or Mod Podge.   

Lastly, put your creation into a frame.  We housed ours on our 'Christmas mantle' this year, but I would like to find a place to hang it on our wall at some place. 

Enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment