Saturday, February 9, 2013

52 in 52 #4 - Baked Tacos

Pinterest project - 4                                                                   
Pinterest projects to go - 48

baked tacos

Inspiration:  http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/2012/11/how-to-make-hard-taco-shells-in-your-ovenplus-a-recipe-for-baked-tacos.html

I love this woman.  Well, I love her recipes.  She is all the brain behind the taco seasoning that we have been using and that I have been craving for weeks.  It's amazing!  I love finding people like this 1) who cook, 2) who post their recipes online, and 3) who actually make GOOD food because I then feel like I can trust other recipes that she has posted on her blog.  I feel this way also about my husband's girlfriend aka The Pioneer Woman.  I have been burned by many people who post recipes on their blogs and obviously either don't cook or don't test the recipe and it turns out HORRIBLE.

Back to the recipe - it was awesome!  I really liked the tacos better that didn't get overly full because then the shell stayed crispy in the oven but that's just a personal preference.  I will admit that we did something with this recipe that I absolutely hate that people do and we changed it before we even made it once the correct way.  We ONLY did this because we didn't have the proper amount of tomato sauce and there was no way that either one of us were leaving the house for 7 more ounces of tomato sauce.  Instead we substituted a small can of enchilada sauce and it was awesome.  I don't feel like it changed the integrity of the dish at all so I still will credit this woman for her amazing recipe. 

Baked Tacos

Ingredients:

12 taco shells
1 can refried beans
2 lbs ground beef
15 ounces tomato sauce
2 - 3 tablespoons taco seasoning (Her homemade Taco Seasoning)
2 cups shredded Colby Jack cheese



Instructions:
 
Brown 2lbs ground beef over medium heat. 
 


 
 
Once your meat is browned, add 15 ounces tomato sauce, taco seasoning, and refried beans.  I had to substitute a small can of enchilada sauce because I didn't have enough tomato sauce.  Cook until completely heated through.   
 
 


Arrange taco shells in an oven safe dish.  I used a 13x9 glass Pyrex dish. 

 
 
Fill your taco shells with your meat mixture until they are about halfway full.  We only used 12 taco shells since we are a small family and had about half of the meat leftover to freeze for a second meal.    
 
 
Top with cheese and bake at 400 degrees for 10-12 minutes until the cheese is melted.  You should have something that looks like this:  
 


This recipe received the stamp of approval from my husband and our two children.  Her taco seasoning is very flavorful but not overly spicy and is easily tolerated by my two small children. 

1 comment: