Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Backyard Gardening: The Real Plan

So a few weeks ago I wrote a blog about my plans for my backyard garden.  At that time we had plans to order a dozen or so varieties of seeds and plant them in one long garden bed.  After a bit of research a few things have changed. 

Our plan to make one long bed has changed to make three small planters.  My mom found this woman's website that has fairly explicit instructions on how people can make $10 raised beds.  We liked the look of these smaller beds and it seemed easier and not nearly as expensive as we originally thought.  Ideally it should be around the same total size but will just be split up. 

I ordered seeds from http://www.seedsnow.com .  I already had two different varieties of tomatoes, jalapeno, oregano, parsley and a blackberry bush from Lowes.  I loved the idea of seedsnow.com because I could get relatively inexpensive non-GMO seeds.  I bought bush beans, butternut squash, spaghetti squash, zucchini, sweet peppers, ancho grande hot peppers, romaine lettuce, cucumber, cauliflower, basil, spinach, and carrots.  We received the seeds within a week.  They arrived in a padded envelope with the seeds in individual little baggies.  They wrote a note that they didn't have the cucumbers that I ordered so they exchanged them for another variety and gave us a second order of romaine and zucchini and an extra order of tomatoes.  I was pleased with that customer service! 

Our plants are all indoors right now, we are starting seeds this weekend and our garden is being built this weekend as well. 

Next: Building the beds

No comments:

Post a Comment