Sunday, March 24, 2013

Dieting sucks

Being on a diet sucks.  A lot.  And the worst part is, I am not even on a diet yet. 

Back when I was pregnant with Silas, Corry went to the doctor for the first time since he was a newborn, I think.  The doctor warned him about his blood pressure (which he knew was previously high) and his weight.  He made a resolution to eat better and much fewer calories and lost 70ish lbs in just a few months.  During that time, I also starting eating better and cutting out all the junk food, sodas, etc.  I lost about 30 lbs in the same amount of time.  And then I was 9 months pregnant and feeling like Godzilla and I was ridiculously un-excited about eating better, so we started eating horribly again. 

A few months ago, we decided that we wanted to get back on the eating plan from before and just never have.  My job annually hosts a "biggest loser" competition to inspire folks to get in shape, eat better and exercise.  I have never participated in said competition.  I don't want to sign up this year but I did tell my husband that I want to get back on the eating plan during the time that my job is hosting this event.  This should give us enough time to be on the plan so that once the competition is over, we should be able to easily maintain and further increase the weight loss that will have occurred up until that point. 

One of the most difficult parts of being on a restricted eating plan is not calling it a diet.  You will notice that even if you say the word diet, you feel immediately angry.  I try to say restricted eating plan, or something like that.  I try to not tell many people when I start something like this because I don't want to constantly talk about it when they ask how it is going, etc.  I think it's that I am also always afraid of failing and having to be accountable to someone.  I guess this is completely the opposite of that by spreading this news on my blog? 

Once the first week is over generally I feel better.  The first week is spent either starving or detoxing from all of the junk that I have been consuming recently.  We are strictly just lowering calories.  This was the advice of the doctor.  I am still trying to eat lots of fruits and vegetables and not just eat like one item totally 1,100 calories for the day.  I also am trying to eat more olives, pickles, and 'sour' type items because I have developed quite the sweet tooth over the past few weeks and am going to try to kick that habit.  Eating olives and pickles has helped me with that in the past. 

Tomorrows menu:

Breakfast
1 hard boiled egg
1 Torta bread (we found these at Costco)
2 cups coffee w/ 1/4 cup skim milk and 1 tbsp coffee creamer
Calories: 398

Snack
1 plum
1 100 calorie yogurt
Calories: 150

Lunch
4 ozs turkey breast
1 oz Colby jack cheese
1 oz pita chips
2 pickles
1 hard boiled egg
Calories: 420

Snack
1 hard boiled egg
6 olives
Calories: 130

Dinner - undecided

Total without dinner: 1098

My goal at this point is to get right at or under 1500 for the day.  This is a bit less than when I was on this plan before and I was able to lose some weight.  I have a tendency to snack at work because I feel like I am hungry.  I am trying to combat this in two ways.  I am bringing 2-3L of unsweetened tea to drink during the day to remind me to drink liquids since I could just be thirsty.  And two, by eating protein (Greek yogurt, eggs, etc.) any time that I eat. 

I am also going to follow my job's plan and weigh once a week.  I am, of course, not going to reveal the number but I do plan on reporting back how much weight I have lost.  Wish me luck!

-Sara

1 comment: