Thursday, March 14, 2013

Nap times

Why can't kids understand how awesome naps really are?


Silas gets it. He loves nap times.  He generally takes at least three naps a day, and most days he should take at least four naps a day.  I say that he takes so many naps to make up for the first six months of his life because he never slept when he was a newborn.  He needs a nap more than any other child that I have ever come in contact with, and in fact, he needs to take a nap or else your life is a living Hell with him after about 3pm.  He will even go so far as to get you to pick him up and do the "I want" hand gesture towards his room.

 
On the other hand, Isabella hates naps. She will fight you tooth and nail to not take a nap. This picture shows how she used to nap - which was getting so tired that she would fall asleep just whenever and where ever.  She used to love this Moses basket that we would lay Silas in during the day.  She is convinced that something exciting is going to happen while she is sleeping and she is going to miss it.  I used to talk to her before she would take a nap and let her know that we were both going to be there when she woke up and that we wouldn't do anything cool while she was in there sleeping.  Lately she has decided that instead of going to sleep she will just lay in her room and talk to herself or talk to the thousand toys that she has in her bed at any time. I wish that she was sleeping but at the same time I feel like she is at least resting.

My kids were never awesome nappers even as newborns and infants.  Silas slept a max of 6-7 total hours during a 24 hour period and Isabella napped 30ish minutes at a time until she was about 6 months old.  Both of them slept at the most a total of a few hours during the day.  This is infuriating and exhausting to most adults because, as an adult, you understand how cool it is to take naps.   

On a related note - why is there no such thing as a corporate nap time?  I think that adults would be much nicer individuals if we had like a full on preschool style nap time during the middle of the day.  Like with the yoga mat looking mats and everything.  I know that I would definitely be more pleasant if I could take a break during the day to refresh my brain and rest. 

Who do we have to talk to about making that happen? 


-Sara




1 comment:

  1. Oh I have always thought there should be a designated nap time in the corporate world. Like take a 2 hour lunch break and if you choose to sleep that whole 2 hours, more power to you! I say we break out some adult size nap mats, like they have in kindergarten and designate that spare room every office building seems to have as "The Nap Room"

    ReplyDelete