Thursday, January 24, 2013

A marriage reminder from an unlikely source

I don't plan to do this very often because I don't want to talk bad (publicly) about my husband's ex-wife but today I honestly couldn't help myself.  I am sure that at some point I will forget this rule but I would like to not talk about my husband's past life as a husband to someone else.  It should be pretty easy to do since we don't regularly communicate with her except about the children, however today was one of those random days when something so funny happens that you just can't help but talk about it.   

Today she shared the following picture on her Facebook wall:

 

This is instantly humorous to anyone who knows her because if you have ever met her and spent about 15 seconds with her you know that she is incapable of not violating all of these "rules" in any relationship.  She cheated on my husband for years before they were divorced and has cheated on almost every man that she has been with since they split up.  In fact, she is currently living with a guy while she is still married to another man.  Classy. 

As funny as this activity was today it did remind me that these "rules" are important and should be the groundwork to any good relationship.  Two of the five should be "duh" rules: stay faithful and don't flirt with others.  If you can't or don't want to follow these two rules then you have no business being married, at least in my opinion.  The others, I will be honest, require some work.  Not that I don't want to make my husband feel loved and wanted but I will admit that some days definitely require work.  Not because my husband is hard to love or difficult, but because I have a full time job and two small children and often times our marriage takes a backseat to all of that.  I don't want it to be like that but it's the one thing that I don't have to constantly babysit to make work, so often times I forget that it takes love and nurturing as well. 

Part of my resolutions for this year is definitely to rekindle #5.  We have talked a few times before about wanting to go on more dates with each other without kids.  One of the things that you don't think about when you have kids is that you will never eat normally until your children are about five years old, possibly later than that.  Once they can eat food(s) you have to spend the time ahead of time thinking about what they are going to eat related to what you are going to eat, or you have to think about what from an eating establishment that they are going to be able to eat.  Then you have to either feed it to them or figure out how to get it in a form that they can eat once it comes to the table; after you figure out how to re-arrange all of the nonsense from the table to where it isn't in any arms reach of either one of your children.  Why do servers insist on putting stuff in front of babies?  Ridiculous... Anyway, after enough days of that you realize that you need a break from that to just be a couple.  I am striving to do more of that this month. 

I say all of that to say that I love my husband.  I love him more than I ever thought that I could love someone in a relationship.  He is the love of my life and the father of my children and I will never love another person quite like him ever in my life. 

-Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment