Thursday, January 10, 2013

Tales of being a grown up

Remember when you were a kid and your biggest stress was a spelling test or having to go to bed before you felt like you were ready.  Well, those days are long gone...  Now there are bills, and kids, and bills for kids... and my favorite: unexpected things that break. 

I have owned a washer and dryer since 2005.  Since then, this washer and dryer has done countless loads of laundry and has held it's own.  I haven't had any concerns and they have both been good appliances.  Until Monday...

Small bit of back story:  We are ultimately some of the luckiest people in the universe because my mom watches our children at our house while Corry and I go to work.  She also can't not do things around the house while she is there, like laundry, etc.  We are ridiculously grateful.  I digress... I receive a text Monday while I am in a meeting at work:  Washer won't agitate.  Stress and panic ensue.  We don't have the money for this saved up (bad, I know, but the truth behind why one of my resolutions is to save more money this year) and tax return time is like two weeks away - why couldn't this have happened two weeks from now? 

This would normally not be anything that I would stress over because, after all, you can always use a laundromat.  However, three months ago or so our son was diagnosed with a contact latex allergy and we have to use cloth diapers with him.  Cloth diapers have to go in the washing machine.  I am positive that it would be possible to wash cloth diapers at a laundromat, however, is it something that I want to try?  Not really...

We cloth diapered our daughted on and off and never really had a good wash routine set up.  Now that we have this new issue with Silas, we have developed a wash routine but it is nothing that we could replicate outside of our home since we soak our diapers during a wash cycle. 

So off we go to look for washers... uhhh, when did washers get so freakin expensive?  What is this washer going to do for me to make up for the fact that it costs $900? 

This wouldn't be a problem if my money tree in my backyard would grow faster. 

In the interim time Corry has monkeyed around with it enough and thinks that it is a small inexpensive part and easy to fix.  If he is right about this, it will be his second big idea of 2013.  The second will be detailed in a future blog post as I am really excited about it and really proud of him for thinking about it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment