Friday, January 11, 2013

My husband is a genius

My husband has some questionable ideas.  Let's face it - if you are married, there are sometimes that you're husband comes to you with this idea and on the outside you look like you think it's a good idea and on the inside you are wondering how he manages to get out of bed on his own everyday.  And don't even get me started on how many ideas he will have that end with some type of sexual overtone.  Luckily for me, since the beginning of the year, my husband has had some legitimately awesome ideas.

 The most recent idea being that he would try to investigate what happened to our broken washer prior to buying another one.  Let me preface by saying that our washer would fill, drain and spin but not agitate.  A simple review on google yielded a million different options of how to fix this issue but none that seemed to be applicable for our washer.  When you included our model of washer, zero decent suggestions. 

Of course, when our washer decided to stop agitating it was at the beginning of a wash cycle and so there were dirty clothes in the washer that had just been hanging around for a few days and were now just starting to take on this weird smell.  Last night after our trip to the Sears Outlet, we decided to at least run those clothes through a cycle with detergent to rid the house of the smell.  Let me say first that I remember various other times throughout my life that I have been in that place and seen better prices.  I don't know if now is the time of the year when washers and dryers start to break but they did not seem as reasonably priced as I remember.  The focus of our conversation then turned to how we could live with a temporary washer until tax returns came back.  While washing that load of clothes, he was letting me hear the noise that it was making and had an "Aha!" moment and said "I think that the coupler is bad!"  Possibly a washing machine fix it man in a past life? 

Excellent!  Verdict:  Bad coupler.  Cost of the part: $7.50.  Prior to deciding to buy a new one I looked up and it would have cost $75.00 just to have someone come out and try to tell us what the problem was.  I am obviously in the wrong business - you would imagine that we would have paid more than $100 to have someone fix that washer for a $7.50 part.  The markup on that is insane.  Nevertheless, I am excited by my husband for figuring this out and taking less than an hour to replace the part and get the washer going again. 

I am confident that sometime in 2013, we will again return to the ideas that culminate with a sexual overtone or ideas where I wonder if he has a monkey's brain, but it's nice to start off the year on the right foot! 

-Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment